Monday, April 27, 2009

why the heck Helsinki?






Why the heck Helsinki?

It was such a weird sign! I was walking from Kenedy town to
Central, exploring the multitude of old Chinese supply stores
and here this tiny coffee counter boasted the best coffee in
Hong kong.

Honestly, the coffee was a bit light for this adict. The
foam was pe
rfect. Made with percision.

Why the name Helsinki? I got so caught up in the e
ntertaining
storytelling of coffee/sandwich counter owner Adolf Cheung I
don't know if he ever answered.

That'll have to be a subject tabled for our next visit to
this lunch hole-in-the-wall, and I will be back. It's a hike
and a half out of the way, sandwiched between vendors who
sell dried shark fin and rice flour. A thimbal sized

disovery for the food lover.

The menu is simple but made with a lot of thought and care.
For example, my club sandwich today:
Smoked turkey ham
sauteed to order, 3 fresh eggs scrampled with cracked pepper
and melted cheese literally right infront of me, properly
toasted bread (no mayo! Yea!), a perfectly ripe tomato,

endive, onion... all dressed with a very light viniagrette
and dusted with dried herbs and powdered parmesean.

A simple sandwich with every component handleded perfectly.
Fresh. Yummy! As a chef I can honestly say that I can't make
that sandwhich any better. Ok, Ok, I would add avocado....

but only because I love avocado on anything. Nevertheless,
the sandwhich was so well done I only thought about the
missing avocado while writing this.

Adolf has an engaging smile. “I had no idea what I was
getting into! I just wanted to do something for myself.”
What was he doing before? Investment banking. When asked

which is harder he very quickly replied, “are you crazy?
restaurant! It takes so much work everyday.”
Adolf had another customer so I was only able to ask one more
question: would you go back to being an investment banker if
you could? He smiled and answered “So long as I have this
opportunity I will be here making the best sandwiches I
can.” - Adolf, we love you! So long as you are at that
counter making every sandwich so nicely, we'll be back
.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment